The Yukon Legal Services Society is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a positive and successful workforce. We promote a flexible and supportive environment and strive to provide fair and competitive compensation packages. We want to have a workforce that reflects the community we serve and encourage applications from candidates who will add to the diversity of our team, including Indigenous and racially visible persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and/or gender identity. All self-identification information will remain confidential.
Prior experience working for legal aid will be considered an asset. All applications must include a cover letter that tells us a little bit about who you are and why you are interested in working with us. Lawyers submitting applications must be members of good standing of a Bar in Canada and eligible to be called to the Yukon Bar. Starting compensation is based on relevant experience. Temporary and/or short term contracts may be considered. We are always open to receiving applications from those interested in working with us.
Positions currently available are listed below:
We are looking for a legal assistant. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing legal assistance to an office of three staff lawyers. The ideal candidate is comfortable managing a heavy workload in a high paced environment with a high call volume and frequent interruptions. Our legal assistants are a vital part of our team and are key to the fulfillment of YLSS’s mandate.
Core duties include but are not limited to:
- Composing routine correspondence and preparing legal documents independently or from brief verbal instructions or handwritten drafts
- Maintaining Outlook calendars for three busy lawyers, ensuring they are aware of work related commitments and diarizing and monitoring their deadlines
- Frequent use of the Society’s client database as part of daily workflow processes
- Maintaining a client filing system including management of highly confidential disclosure materials and opening and closing of files
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and organized office environment
- Proactive and engaged in order to anticipate and meet the needs of your lawyers
- Ability to multi-task, proofread and prepare grammatically correct documents
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and understanding of trauma informed service
- Familiar with family law process, forms and precedents of the Yukon
- Strong time management, organizational and prioritization skills
- Ability to build trust and maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Willingness and ability to problem solve independently
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Knowledge of Yukon First Nations history and culture
Compensation is based on the number of years of relevant experience. Training will be provided. Prior experience working at a law firm will be considered an asset but is not required. We offer competitive salaries, generous leave and an excellent benefits package. We encourage applications from candidates who will add to the diversity of our team, including Indigenous and racially visible persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and/or gender identity. We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The position will remain posted until filled.
– Ability to defend clients with serious Criminal Code and CDSA charges
– Experience or interest in family law, child protection, and/or mental health matters
– Exceptional interpersonal skills and experience working with complex clients
– Ability to meet deadlines in a fast paced, highly demanding environment
– Ability to stay organized while managing a heavy caseload
– Reliable, resourceful, flexible, and a strong problem solver
– Coordinate schedule and workload with a legal assistant
– Strong time management and communication skills
– Excellent legal drafting and legal research skills
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email or fax to:
Yukon Legal Services Society
Attention: Shannon Hendrickson
Fax: (867) 667-8649